< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://davejustus.com/" >

Monday, April 04, 2005

. Sin City I saw Sin City last night. It is a tough movie to review, but I Figure I'll give it a shot anyway. First off, it is a seriously dark film noir with loads of violence. If you don't like that sort of thing, don't go see it. The cinematography was original and stunning. The movie felt very much like you were watching a comic book. Visually it was fun to watch, but I am still undecided as to whether this method took away from the impact of the violence or simply made the brutality bearable. The acting we excellent. Most of the movie was done is a classic noir voice over mode and certainly brougt an immediacy to the scene. You clearly feel the perspective of the character doing the narative at the time. The structure was three mostly unrelated vignettes, which normally I probably wouldn't like in a movie; with the overall theme of Sin City being random evil without redemption I felt that in this case it worked. Overall I enjoyed the movie a lot.

3 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Just wondering...what recent movies would you suggest watching? Keep in mind that we get to see them later then folks in the U.S. Thanks in advance
-Eitan

4/05/2005 01:22:00 AM  
Blogger Gib said...

Haven't seen it yet - might be able to this weekend, depending on spouse's condition. Second to the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, this is the movie I'm most looking forward to seeing.

4/05/2005 11:15:00 AM  
Blogger Dave Justus said...

Regreg,

The movie I would most recommend that is sort of recent is the Incredibles. It was a lot of fun. Sky Captain and the World of Tommorrow was also good.

I haven't seen a lot of other movies in the past couple of months, not much has come out that looked very interesting.

Gib: Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy also looks like it might be good too (although I don't trust Disney with the material) and Star Wars III looks like it might not suck.

4/06/2005 07:12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home