< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://davejustus.com/" >

Friday, August 20, 2004

Iran threatens attack

Yahoo News:

Iranian Defense Minister Ali Shamkhani warned that Iran might launch a preemptive strike against US forces in the region to prevent an attack on its nuclear facilities. "We will not sit (with arms folded) to wait for what others will do to us. Some military commanders in Iran are convinced that preventive operations which the Americans talk about are not their monopoly," Shamkhani told Al-Jazeera TV when asked if Iran would respond to an American attack on its nuclear facilities.
In the words of George W. Bush "Bring it on." I dispise the Iranian regime. I think that they are one of the greatest threats to America and Middle East stability. The oppress their citizens and export violence. I would welcome the end of that government with glee. That being said, I would prefer to aviod war. I would prefer to the Iranians to voluntarily stop persuing nuclear weapons. I would prefer that they chose to not support terror. I would prefer that they take their theocratic boots off of the necks of their citizens. Unfortunately, this is not gonna happen. Right now, absent clear provocation, the U.S. is not prepared to militarily invade Iran, although I wouldn't rule out a surgical strike or two against nuclear infrastructure. But if they give us that provocation, I won't be entirely sad about that.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dave Justus said...

I had a lot of hope for Iran a few years ago. But recent events have caused that hope to fade somewhat.

I think Afghanistan and Iraq have, and will continue to, put a lot of pressure on the Iranian regime. So far their response has been to become more brutal.

Perhap the pro-democracy movement in Iran will overcome this and reform will take place in that nation. But guns are a powerful force in political discourse and the Regime has the guns and it seems unlikely they will change peacefully.

8/20/2004 02:02:00 PM  
Blogger Random Gemini said...

I agree with both of you on that as well. It's very unlikely that the regime will quietly fade out in favor of democracy.

8/21/2004 03:07:00 PM  
Blogger Random Gemini said...

I agree with both of you on that as well. It's very unlikely that the regime will quietly fade out in favor of democracy.

8/21/2004 03:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home