< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://davejustus.com/" >

Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Novelists for Bush

They are decidedly in the minority in this survey but the points they make are interesting.

Orson Scott Card I'm a Democrat voting for Bush, even though on economic issues, from taxes to government regulation, I'm not happy with the Republican positions. But we're at war, and electing a president who is committed to losing it seems to be the most foolish thing we could do. Personal honesty is also important to me, and Kerry is obviously not in the running on that point, given that he can't keep track of the facts in his own autobiography.
Card is one of my long time favorite authors, ever since I read Ender's Game in junior high.
Robert Ferrigno Mark me on the Bush side of the ledger, a lonely side for this survey, I'm certain. Most novelists live in their imagination, which is a fine place to be until the bad guys come knock knock knocking. I don't agree with Bush on shoveling free meds to granny and grandpa, or his antipathy to fuel conservation along with opening up the arctic reserve, but this is small stuff. I'll be voting for Bush because his approach to stopping the people who want to kill my children is the right one, i.e., kill them first. Kerry will dance the Albright two-step with Kim Jong-il, consult with Sandy Berger's socks, and kowtow to the U.N. apparatchiks who have done such a fine job of protecting the Cambodians, Rwandans, and the Sudanese. No thanks. No contest.
I am not familiar with this author, but I might have to try reading him. If his novels are as fun to read as his political commentary they will be well worth the money. Still laughing about the Albright two-step.
Roger L. Simon I am a registered Democrat. I disagree with George W. Bush on gay marriage, stem-cell research, a woman's right to choose, and, to a lesser extent, a host of other issues, but I am supporting him unreservedly for president. We are in a protracted war with Islamofascism and I do not trust John Kerry to lead us in that war for one minute. Also, I think my party has been hijacked by a cult of know-nothing isolationism out of the 1930s. But if they win, I hope the hell I'm wrong.
I am familiar with Mr. Simon's blog (not on my daily reads, but I am a frequent visitor) and I have found him enjoyable and interesting. He writes mystery novels, not my favorite genre, but I might check him out as some point.
Thomas Mallon I'll be voting for President Bush. His response to the 9/11 attacks has been both strong and measured, and he has extended a once-unimaginable degree of freedom (however tentative) to Afghanistan and Iraq. I am unimpressed by the frantic vilification that has come his way from even mainstream elements of the Democratic Party. The rhetorical assault is reminiscent of—though it far exceeds—the overheated opposition to Ronald Reagan's re-election in 1984. Back then the intellectual establishment told us how repression and apocalypse would be just around the corner if the American "cowboy" were kept in the White House for another four years. Well (as Reagan might say, his head cocked to one side), I remember a rather different result from RR's second term. And I'm hopeful about another four years under George W. Bush.
I am not familiar with Thomas Mallon's writings, but from a quick scan through Amazon he seems to write a lot of historical fiction set in the 20th century. One interesting , with the exception of Mallon (who does not say) they all describe themselves as liberal or democrats. This of course makes one wonder if all novelist are liberal or if Slate only talked to liberal novelist. I encourage everyone to read the opinions of the novelists that are supporting Kerry too. If they don't make you want to vote for Bush, nothing will.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home