< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://davejustus.com/" >

Monday, January 17, 2005

My ideas on how Social Security should be done

I made this statement in the comments of a previous post, but I think it is worthy of putting up as a main post to let everyone know what my more or less ideal Social Security program would be like. I am enough of a libertarian to be a little queasy about the idea of government mandated savings accounts at all, but since I am also unwilling to see old people starve I can see a societal interest in such things. My basic outline for a program would be investments with a small range for choices for workers from pure government bonds to a mixed portfolio of bonds and market index funds (like standard and poors for example) to the most extreme investment choices of a pure index fund portfolio. Even that isn't exactly what is considered high risk, so no one would be able to invest all (or even any) of their money in Global Crossing for example. Remember also we are talking about younger workers so even if the market was flat for their entire time of investment they would still not have 'no money' they just wouldn't have seen an increase in their savings. While this would represent a problem, I would challenge you to find any solution that will be acceptable if we have a flat economy for the next 30 or so years. I recall explicitly from you posts on the subject claims that the crisis is overrated because growth projections are too low in the studies. I expect that if we assume no growth at all 2042 is a lot later that the SS fund will be able to pay it's liabilities. There would also have to be some rules as to how fast you can draw down your account upon retirement. In addition to this program, I would have a safety net for those who are poor and unable to work. This would provide for those who never worked, who were never able to work, or who retired with insufficient funds to cover their remaining years (perhaps because they lived an extraordinarily long time.) The main point here is a means tested program for those who don't have money and cannot work regardless of reason. Rather than fund this program by the current regressive payroll tax, I would fund it from the general budget (mostly income tax). I think that this program would be far better for the poor than our current system and a lot fairer. I acknowledge though that their will be a transition cost to achieve this system and paying for that might be difficult.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home