< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://davejustus.com/" >

Friday, February 11, 2005

Huked on Fonics werked for me

Craig Westover has an interesting post about a school in Illinios that has achieved amazing results using Phonics and drill but is phasing out this approach in favor of a "whole language 'method.' Because 'reading is such a complex and multifaceted activity" First off, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Secondly, I suspect that different kids do in fact need different teaching methods. That doesn't mean that you should try and teach every kid with every method, it means that you should try to teach each kid with the method that works best for them. Obviously, behemoth public education institutions are unsuited to such a plan. That is one reason I favor universal privitization of schools funded by a voucher system that lets parents choose the best school for their child.

3 Comments:

Blogger The probligo said...

This was a change that the NZ education "system" made about 35 years back during the bad old days of state governed schools.

We still have the stated governed schools.

We also have at least a generation of people of whom I would guess (given the standard of English as it is spoke and writ to me) that some 60% of whom are gramatically illiterate.

To my regret I include my son (Engineer with 2nd Class Honours and Management Diploma and all) among those who are unable to construct ideas and progress them in a grammatical manner.

Why pick on him?

Because after 18 months kindergarten and nearly 9 months of intensive teaching uusing the "whole meaning" approach he could not read, he could "parrot" his favourite books but something new was causing definite problems.

So we (wife and I) started on phonetics and letter-sound recognition and the old "sounding" approach of our childhoods.

Worked in five weeks. Simple.

As you say... but don't blame the school. You will likely find that funding relies upon curriculum. "Teach this way or no funding..."

2/12/2005 03:22:00 PM  
Blogger Dave Justus said...

Obviously I don't have any firsthand information on this. The linked post seems to indicate that this decision was made purely by the new superintendant.

2/12/2005 05:44:00 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

I learned to read before entering school, basically teaching myself. (Of course, I had parents who read to me and taught the alphabet.) I learned by phonics, which means I would pronounce an unfamiliar word incorrectly at times, but I at least understood the language.

2/15/2005 11:27:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home