< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://davejustus.com/" >

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

More on Intelligent Design

Reason has a pretty good critique of the intelligent design story that I linked to previously. I stand by my statement that we should teach, and study, the criticisms that Intelligent Design levels at evolutionary theory. In physics it is always the anomalies, the unexplainable, that are the most avidly studied area, and can turn an entire theory on it's head. I don't think that will happen with evolution, but the unexplainable is exactly where science happens. We should be teaching that, and giving our students both reason to wonder what is true, and a better idea of the process of science. In truth, the science that a science class teaches is probably irrelevant in most cases. What is important is understanding how science itself works.

1 Comments:

Blogger tsykoduk said...

What I took from science class, and what I wish that all would take, is a sense of wonder. A thirst for knowledge. A smug little feeling that I know something about how the world really works. Some critical thinking skills. A lack of fear of being wrong. A healthy sense of debate.

All of these things should be at the fundemental level of any school. Sadly, these days, I think that much of what is taught is aimed at the tests.

Tests that score knowledge are not what we need. We need tests that score problem solving, common sense, critical thinking, comprehension.

Hey, how did I get up on this soapbox?

;)

2/09/2005 02:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home