< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://davejustus.com/" >

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

The (human) right to bear arms

Riding Sun posts on the best reason to support the right to bear arms. There are other reason's one can site, but at the base, keeping the power of the government more proportional to that of the people, and thereby ensuring that government is based upon their consent is the central reason that the right to bear arms is critical. It connects deeply to the concept that the individual is sovreign over themselves and not merely a subject or a slave to their government. Hunting, home protection, target shooting, are all valid reasons to have a gun, but they are not the reason that such a thing must remain a right.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is another of the things that my beliefs differ with my convictions on.

I fully support people's rights to carry firearms. I think that most people should.

I also hate that I live in a world that is so predicated on fear that we need to.

Confusion reigns supreme!

6/14/2005 11:13:00 AM  
Blogger The probligo said...

I do not know why, but tsykoduk's comment almost goes "tinkle" instead of "clang".

Ah, got it!!

Try this...

"I also hate that I live in a nation that is so predicated on fear that we need to."

6/14/2005 11:37:00 AM  
Blogger Nome said...

Tsykoduk, don't forget one of the main reasons for gun ownership in some of the more rural areas - food. In MT, where I grew up, many people own rifles so they can supply thier families with meat. Pistols supply much needed personal protection when fishing, picking huckleberries and getting firewood. The fear is still there; however, it's more to do with the wildlife than human lowlife. :)

6/14/2005 12:59:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I do not know why, but tsykoduk's comment almost goes "tinkle" instead of "clang"."

Again, confusion reigns supreme! :)

I think that the culture of fear is, and has been a world-wide phenomion. Look at Darfur, Congo, Bosina, Cambodia - the list goes on. People in many parts of the world fear for life and limb. Living out of that fear is one of the problems that we as a species have..

" Tsykoduk, don't forget one of the main reasons for gun ownership in some of the more rural areas - food."

I don't forget that. The majority of our population lives in cities however, and probally will not see a Moose or a Griz when they are 'getting firewood' (read going to 7-11 and getting some more beer).

:)

6/14/2005 01:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home