< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://davejustus.com/" >

Monday, June 13, 2005

The kids are all right

Rob, at Fine? Why Fine posts this very touching story. Go read it, you won't be sorry. Sometimes I hear, especially from conservatives, worries that kids today are too messed up and things are much worse than they were back in the day (this exact time period varies with the age of the person speaking.) While I agree that kids today face some pretty extreme challenges, I think more of them than ever are really good people. They are more active in charities and similar activities than we were when I was a kid, and so many of those that I know seem to really care about others. I can't explain how so many kids today ended up so good, but I am impressed and awed by many of them. The story kids at Ryan Belflowers school have obviously accpeted him despit his differences. I am sure he has been subjected to plenty of teasing over the years, kids are still kids after all and can be mercilessly cruel. I can't imagine such a kid being cheered at my High School though. It would have been all he could hope for to be ignored. We weren't evil exactly, but we certainly wouldn't have gone out of our way to make such a kid feel welcome. I have seen many similar stories and articles about today's youth, although they are easily obscured by the more sensational accounts of their failures.

3 Comments:

Blogger RFTR said...

"I can't explain how so many kids today ended up so good, but I am impressed and awed by many of them."

Simple: they saw how screwed up their parents are after having run wild in the 60s and decided to act like the grown-ups that their parents never became.

6/13/2005 10:24:00 AM  
Blogger Dave Justus said...

That is a possibility. One would think that screwed up parents would have a negative influence on kids though.

Even if you are correct, the ability of these kids to learn from their parents mistakes is amazing, and somewhat inexplicable, itself.

6/13/2005 10:35:00 AM  
Blogger Random Gemini said...

This is an awesome article Dave. *dabs tears from her eyes with a kleenex*

Even as a parent, it's hard to understand how a child can overcome a disability, adversity, negativism, and the other obstacles they face. Looking back on your own childhood is often insufficient to help you find the answers to those things.

But.. it's easy to see how children can inspire you.

6/13/2005 04:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home