< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://davejustus.com/" >

Friday, June 24, 2005

Lileks photographs an eminent domain seizure

Houses Sacrificed for the Best Buy HQ:

Before the houses were demolished I swung by and shot a few rolls; the sight of these perfectly good 60s houses standing naked & empty behind wire fences was somehow disturbing, as if something horrible had happened here. In the long view, nothing horrible happened at all; in the long view, the land was reused for a more profitable purpose. Sprawl was converted into density, which is what the New Urbanists want, after all. In the long view this is probably a wonderful turn of events. I can say that because these weren'’t my homes. Even so: I won’t say it.
Lileks took this series of photos a while ago, but it is certainly timely to look at them now. The houses aren't the nicest in the world, but it certainly appeared to be a pretty decent neighborhood before it was seized.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bill said...

These pictures remind me of more than one neighborhood I've lived in. Not modern - but plenty of smaller, affordable houses for those just starting out, as we all were once.

6/24/2005 11:12:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't live in that particular neighborhood but I wasn't too far away and I knew what it was like because of the car dealer and some other businesses nearby. There was nothing wrong with those homes except they were in the way of some big money. That neighborhood was no more blighted than the rest of the Twin Cities, less so than some areas.

6/24/2005 01:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home