< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://davejustus.com/" >

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

10 year anniversary of Srebrenica Massacre

SFGate.com:

During the war in Bosnia, from 1992 to 1995, the United Nations declared Srebrenica the world's first civilian "safe area," stripped its soldiers of their artillery and armored vehicles, and promised to protect the enclave. But in July 1995, Bosnian Serb forces overwhelmed 370 lightly armed Dutch peacekeepers here, seized control of the enclave, and killed virtually every man and boy they captured.
I am not proud of my attitude during the Bosnia war. I viewed it as a European problem and something that we did not need to get involved in. Further, I viewed American military action as a 'wag the dog' tactic designed to divert attention away from domestic political issues. I was wrong. That attitude, was a big part of what allowed the Srebrenica massacre, and others, to happen.

2 Comments:

Blogger Gib said...

I remember being wrong about intervening in Yugoslavia too. My reasons ranged from the naive faith that the U.N. could handle it to letting my dislike for Bill Clinton blind me to the simple fact that when he said we needed to act, he was right.

Bad reasons for opposing good causes never die, I guess.

7/12/2005 01:17:00 PM  
Blogger Eitan Ha'ahzari said...

I'm with gib. I, too, was against American intervention in Yugoslavia. I had my reasons; mainly historical accounts of Serbian armed resistance against the Nazis and the Croatian cooperation and the Croats' ethnic cleansing of the local Jewish populace. I, too, now admit to have been in the wrong.

7/12/2005 02:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home