< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://davejustus.com/" >

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Cantwell says she will oppose Roberts

Seattle Post-Intelligencer:

Sen. Maria Cantwell, D-Wash., said Tuesday she will oppose Chief Justice-nominee John Roberts, saying she is concerned that Roberts did not make clear his views on an individual's right to privacy. Cantwell, who met with Roberts on Monday night at her Senate office, said in a speech on the Senate floor that Roberts failed to address her concerns about privacy - and abortion rights - despite repeated questions. ... Cantwell called Roberts' answers inadequate, and cited polls showing a majority of Americans wanted Roberts to answer questions about past Supreme Court cases.
I tend to use the opinions of my Senators, Maria Cantwell and Patty Murray as a guideline of whether I am right about something or not. If I ever find myself in agreement with either of them, I have to wonder if I have made a mistake somewhere. I love Cantwell citing polls that Americans want Roberts to answer questions without even feeling the need to support that argument on the merits. I am sure she would tell you that if the majority of Americans wanted abortion to be restricted, that wouldn't matter because the underlying principle of privacy rights trumps opinion polls, or even votes. Yet somehow the issue of whether or not a judge should comment on cases that may well come before him, or whether cases should be prejudged based upon issues, rather than the facts, seems to be something that can safely be decided by an opinion poll.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home