< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://davejustus.com/" >

Thursday, September 15, 2005

To war: Lance Cpl. Stephen Sensing

Donald Sensing's son has been deployed to Iraq as a Marine. This bit at the end of his post echoes in many ways my own feelings:

I told him what I had told my son the night before, that I was deeply envious of my son and his fellow Marines. Some people reach the end of their lives still wondering whether they ever made a positive difference in their country or the world. Marines don’t have that problem, and neither, of course, do soldiers, sailors, airmen or Coast Guardsmen. My son and his fellows are producers of freedom, not mere consumers of it. And those who only consumed freedom will one night lie in their beds and think themselves accursed that they didn’t serve with them.
I am an English Major (working in computers of course) and a lover of Shakespeare. This sort of sentiment always reminds me of this line from Henry V.
And gentlemen in England now abed, Shall think themselves accursed they were not here, And hold their manhood's cheap whiles any speaks, That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.
I want to express my admiration and appreciation for Stephen Sensing, and all the men and women who serve in our Armed Forces.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home