< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://davejustus.com/" >

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Sharia in Iraq

Dave Price has a good post up at Dean's World on the issue of Iraq's constitution allowing sharia law. Well worth reading. Basically, I agree with him that the protections in the Iraqi Constitution are strong enough to allow an adaptable society to emerge and will let Iraqi's deal with various social issues over time. Sure, their is a chance that Democratic institutions will fail and religious theocrats will take over Iraq, but that chance isn't really increased by the Iraqi Constitution allowing sharia law, indeed I would think that the constituion decreases that chance. I am sure I will not agree with every decision a democratic Iraq will make. I often disagree with a democratic France, a democratic Britain and certainly I have my disagreements with a democratic America.

4 Comments:

Blogger The probligo said...

"...their is a chance that Democratic institutions will fail and religious theocrats will take over Iraq...

The "democratic institutions" do not have to "fail".

There would be no difference between Iraq electing a predominant Shi'a government which aligns itself with Iran, than there would be the US electing a Christian right wing government that aligned itself with Israel...

10/19/2005 06:17:00 PM  
Blogger The probligo said...

Dave, note that I did not use the word "theocrat". You did. I did not, intentionally.

10/20/2005 01:10:00 PM  
Blogger Dave Justus said...

Yes, I used it intentionally.

There would be a huge difference between a theocratic Iraq and a democratic Iraq with Shite fundamentalists as the majority party.

10/20/2005 01:27:00 PM  
Blogger The probligo said...

At that point I would agree.

Unless of course there was sufficient Shi'a elected to amend the Constitution to form a theocracy. What is the limit? 66%? 75%? I am not sure.

But if there were sufficient elected representatives to amend the Iraq Constitution to something more akin to Iran's, would it still be a democracy or would it have become a theocracy?

And that is where I come back to your comment...

Think too of the potential for gerrymandered electorates. Remember the "elections" held after the Revolution in Iran - "Religious State - Yes/No"

There is a long and very dusty road ahead...

10/20/2005 02:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home